Re: apt-get 'package held back' question

Neal Lippman said:
> I just did a "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" and was told that a
> package (which I know to have been recently updated) was being "held
> back."

this usually occurs when an update depends upon another package which
it did not previously depend upon(or something like that). You can
override it by specifying the package directly, so if XYZ was held
you can upgrade it by apt-get install XYZ it will probably tell you
another package will be installed in addition to XYZ

another reason(less likely) is that you or someone else on the system
specifically told the system not to upgrade that package(a very specific
procedure), so the system won't upgrade it unless specifically instructed
to.

nate