Re: apt-get "package held back" question

Hi Neal,

Neal Lippman wrote:
> I just did a "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" and was told that a
> package (which I know to have been recently updated) was being "held
> back."
>
> I should note that to the best of my knowledge, I don't have anything
> "pinned" or anything else that should cause packages not to get upgarde.
> My /etc/apt/sources.list contains only locations to d/l from, as I
> expect it should.

You are using testing or unstable, aren't you?

This phenomenon may be caused when some dependency has changed and one
of these packages is not installed on your system or if this package
isn't available yet (and will get into the archive later in which case
this package will be able to installed later).

If the reason is the first point, you can do a dist-upgrade and apt
will try to install this package and if necessary remove old packages
or install extra ones.

The second one is more trickier, you only can wait. This additionally
_can_ be caused by false dependencies...

Regards,

Rene

--
  .''`. Rene Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73