Re: Collisions on lan using Linux versus Windows

Robert Ian Smit, 2002-Sep-16 22:25 +0200:
> I suppose so. Is it still true that on a busy lan you only get 40%
> or less troughput? The guy who told me this years ago said that
> ethernet was dead and tokenring the thing to have since you're
> throughput would always be near 100%. Aesthetically ethernet was
> never a thing of beauty, but it's cheap and it works.

On a busy Ethernet segment that's shared, not switched, it's more like
60% throughput.  The collisions and subsequent back-off routines
create a lot of overhead since all the hosts are sharing the same
bandwidth and are part of the same collision domain.  Going to a
switch where every port is it's own segment with it's own bandwidth
simply breaks up the collision domains, thus reducing the amount of
hosts per collision domain.

Token Ring is yet another example where it doesn't matter if the
technology is better.  I think the "cheap and it works" is what did
the trick for Ethernet.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer