Re: Collisions on lan using Linux versus Windows

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:52:08AM -0700, Tony Wasson wrote:
> Collisions have almost no practical value in troubleshooting network
> performance problems. Anything they do tell you can be seen sooner and more
> clearly from some other statistics. A 'lit' collision light is normal when
> doing a large file transfer. I have observed 100% collisions during some FTP
> transfers and gotten very good throughput. Normal collisions are a feature
> of CSMA/CD, not a problem. Your network throughput 65%, which is excellent
> considering that you are using encryption.

I suppose so. Is it still true that on a busy lan you only get 40%
or less troughput? The guy who told me this years ago said that
ethernet was dead and tokenring the thing to have since you're
throughput would always be near 100%. Aesthetically ethernet was
never a thing of beauty, but it's cheap and it works.

> Out of the 'ifconfig -a' out put I'd be most concerned about drops, then
> about large amounts of frame errors, and finally about general 'errors'.
>
> Here's the formula to calulate throughput:
>
>                         bytes
> Throughput =   -----
>                    time * network speed in bytes
>
> You said 82 MB, but I'm assuming you mean 82,000,000 (not 85,983,232 bytes)
> time is in seconds (1:41 is 101 seconds)
> 10mbps throughput = 1,250,000 bytes

I never know when to say Mb or MB or whether it's 1000 or 1024, so I
did a ls -lh on the file. It's 82M or 86040576 bytes.

Thanks for the explanation.

Bob