Re: df and dh reporting different disk space usage

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 14:21, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:

[files under mount points]

> mount --bind might also be handy here. I did a test on my machine:

> # mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
>
> and /var on the root file system is visible in /mnt/tmp/var  (!)
>
> This might be a bug (but a nice feature nevertheless). Beware though: I
> have not tried modifying any files.

Is safe. The kernel knows that it's the same filesystem.

> PS: I just noticed that this will create loops in the directory
>     structure; something is bound to get confused by that...

Many tools traversing filesystems have a 'don't cross filesystem
boundaries' that comes in handy in these cases.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                           http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTICE: subkey signature! request key 92082481 from keyserver.kjsl.com