OT: otf fonts and LaTeX

Hello.
A friend showed up lately with a bunch of otf fonts that we wanted
to make some use of. The idea was to somehow convert them into
something usable by LaTeX, i.e. into pf{a,b}'s, which we could do
with pfaedit, but the result was somehow disappointing: we were able
to use them but we didn't get all characters right, e.g. \v{c}
didn't yield the desired result.
So what I'm looking for is some theoretical thoughts about this kind
of conversions; are they a good idea at all, what are the caveats,
how to make it right: is there a good document on this, does anyone
have experience with it? At CTAN, there are many files as parts of
fonts, where one has to get the _actual fonts_ elsewhere and that's
our situation here. We wanted to use Adobe Minion.

Thanks,
andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates