Question abt upgrading

Good day,
  I am interested in upgrading my Woody 2.2.20 all the way up to the
current stable.  I'd also like to upgrade my KDE to the current version
(I guess that is 3.03 or something.)

  My problem is that I don't exactly know the "debian way" of doing
everything, so I'd like
a check on my work.

  My /etc/apt sources are /http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib
non-free

  My process so far was:  (1) look at debian FAQ for upgrade info
  (2) apt-get update (3) apt-get dist-upgrade (4) ran dselect to clear
out jdk
  (5) Reran steps 2&3, and it appears that this finished successfully.

Is there something more that I have to do?  Do I have to rebuild the
kernel, and
if so, what is the debian way of doing this?

Please feel free to mention just the documentation I should be look at,
and the programs,
if you feel like helping me work into the debian way of figuring things
out.  (I've been googling, though, and I've been at the debian FAQs, so
those are already there).  If I need further help, I'll just reply back
with further questions.

 - Mike Rudmin