Re: XFree86 Memory usage

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 05:00:59PM -0700, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> I've noticed recently that if I keep my computer up for a while
> (2 days or so) the swap fills up until its all used (~360MB).
> top shows that XFree86 is using 441MB.  Now I realize that 64MB
> of that would be my video ram but 377MB is still huge.
> I know that linux tries to use all available ram but isn't that
> limited to physical ram?
>
> Or does XFree86 have a major memory leak somewhere?  I am running
> testing with no 3rd party packages installed.

I've seen this from applications that have X intern image buffers,
and then the apps promptly lose their "handle" for the buffer,
essentially causing a memory leak.  It's not X's fault per se,
as such apps never tell X to free up the memory (and it will
remain used even after such apps exit).  I recall a program
that cycled the root image did this (forget the name...).

If this is the case, you might be able to track down the culprit
by carefully watching memory in relationship to the applications
you fire up.

--
begin 664 .signature
M<F5L;&E-("Y'(&-I<D4@/G1E;BYS<&I`,FUG93P)"`@("`@("`@("`@("`@(