Re: Saving files using CD-RW drive?

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:53:22 -0400
Andy Saxena <andyML@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 01:10:32PM -0400, Victor Torrico wrote:
> | Is it possible to use in Debian some software to save files to CD-RW
> | media similarly to the way files are saved to a floppy disk?  In
> | Ugh! Windows I use Direct CD by Roxio and it works fine.
> |
> | My CD-RW drive works fine copying CDs using Xcdroast in linux.
> |
> | Any "how to do it" advice appreciated.
> |
> | Victor
>
> There's an earlier posting on this ML - about a month ago - talking
> about UDF. It's a development being undertaken in the 2.5 series
> kernels, and should be fully operational once 2.6 comes out. I believe
> there is also a patch available for 2.4, but it's not very reliable.
>
> To answer your questions precisely, it is not possible at the moment
> to use your CD-RW media as a filesystem.

Yes you can. But at your own risk. The trick is to get both UDF and
packet-writing to work on you system. I don't know if there's any other
method of writing a UDF filesystem on a CDRW, but there's a
packet-writing mailing list available from a pretty respectable address:
packet-writing@suse.com.

The list might be subscription only. But I find this on the list sig: