Re: having trouble partitioning correctly

also sprach Scott B. Berry <n7zib@tritel.net> [2002.09.15.2011 +0200]:
> 1.  On the partition where the boot parameter is set is 8.23 megs.
> Is this big enough to hold both the linux native system and the boot
> record and also I can't get it to go any bigger so I am wondering
> how I can force it up to 10mb like the installation manual says?

You have to delete and recreate it. But 8Mb is enough for /boot.
I don't have more on none of my productive systems. It's definitely
enough for two concurrent kernels.

> 2.  I am assuming that with the swap it can be set to 64mb(which is the
> amount of memory on the linux box) and then in the
> type of file system I choose 82.

I would set it to 2xRAM for machines with less than 128 Mb and to
1xRAM for machine with 128 and more.

> 3.  What should I do with the rest of the disk space?

Well, what is this box going to be used for? With 6.4 Gb I would
recommend

  hda3 -> 3072Mb         and mount as /
  hda4 -> the rest       and mount as /home

"a woman is like your shadow;
 follow her, she flies;
 fly from her, she follows."
                                                           -- chamfort