Re: Collisions on lan using Linux versus Windows

Robert Ian Smit said:
> My network performance is pretty good, I believe. However when I
> transfer files between two of my systems both running Debian the
> collision led on my hub is almost constantly on.

this is normal, hubs do nothing to prevent collisions. I reccomend
a switch, even a cheap crap netgear 5 port runs about $40.

> machine. I noticed the collision led only flickered every four or
> five seconds. I don't know how to extract the collisions data
> from Windows. Besides I don't have two Windows machines.

depends how your transferring the file, in my experience, the
SMB protocol is literally many many times slower then FTP or
SCP, so collisions may happen less often, but it is for sure not
unusual to see a lot of collisisons on a hub. you can even
see collisions on a switch though it's much less common.

> Can my local network perform better for my Linux systems. Or should I
> just forget about the collisions?

forget about em, still I reccomend getting a switch, much better
network performance will result.