Re: Collisions on lan using Linux versus Windows

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:16:57AM -0700, nate wrote:
> > My network performance is pretty good, I believe. However when I
> > transfer files between two of my systems both running Debian the
> > collision led on my hub is almost constantly on.
> this is normal, hubs do nothing to prevent collisions. I reccomend
> a switch, even a cheap crap netgear 5 port runs about $40.

Yeah, should have bought one in the first place. But at the time the
store only had a cheap hub or an expensive A-brand switch. I am an
I-want-it-NOW type of person so I ended up with the hub.

> depends how your transferring the file, in my experience, the
> SMB protocol is literally many many times slower then FTP or
> SCP, so collisions may happen less often, but it is for sure not
> unusual to see a lot of collisisons on a hub. you can even
> see collisions on a switch though it's much less common.

I used sharing in Windows; which uses SMB?
I had a hunch about Windows not using the physical bandwidth, but I
bash Windows enough as it is so I STFU about it initially. Pscp
(part of putty) is also slower than scp on *nix systems. I didn't
time an SSH transfer using Cygwin.

You suggested ping -f in another reply. This showed a 2% packet
loss. I did some quick and dirty calculations on collisions that
showed a drop of 1 in 30. I won't draw uneducated conclusions but
aren't the above stats more than a coincidence?

> > Can my local network perform better for my Linux systems. Or should I
> > just forget about the collisions?
> forget about em, still I reccomend getting a switch, much better
> network performance will result.

At the moment my household increase concerns getting more computers.
I will certainly buy a switch if the bandwidth is to be shared among
more people or when my internet connection comes near local speeds.

Okay thanks to everyone who replied in this thread. Case closed.

Bob