Re: are we going to have a Y2.1K problem like Y2K?

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 21:39, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>
> > 2038 is when our dates run out:
>
> Right, because the standard Unix time value is a signed 32-bit number of
> seconds from January 1, 1970. Thus, 2^31-1 seconds, which is about 68
> years.
>
> > # touch -t 203711111111 a
> > # touch -t 203811111111 a
> > touch: invalid date format `203811111111'
> >
> > I believe it's supposed to be "automagically" fixed when we move from 32
> > to 64 bits of something or other :)
>
> Sure, if we switch to a 64-bit time value, then we'll have lots of room
> left over -- so much that we might as well switch from seconds to
> microseconds, as I think Java does.

VMS has a base date of 17-Nov-1858 00:00:00 and uses a signed 64 bit
(quad) word to tell time in 100 nanosecond (0.1 microsecond) ticks.
Even so, it will roll over in ~17,000CE.  Fortunately, I will be retired
by then, and won't have to worry about converting all those quadwords
to 128 bit (hexadecimalword?) values...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |