Re: are we going to have a Y2.1K problem like Y2K?

On 05 Sep 2002, 19:39:22, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > 2038 is when our dates run out:
>
> Right, because the standard Unix time value is a signed 32-bit number of
> seconds from January 1, 1970. Thus, 2^31-1 seconds, which is about 68
> years.
>
> Sure, if we switch to a 64-bit time value, then we'll have lots of room
> left over -- so much that we might as well switch from seconds to
> microseconds, as I think Java does.

IIRC, the bind developers switched to an unsigned 32-bit integer for the
serial number format so that YYYYMMDDRR, where RR was a 2-digit revision
number for that day, would last until 4096 or so ....

So, we got that to fall back on . . .

madmac

--
Doug MacFarlane