Re: how to install the latest autoconf/automake/gettext

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 08:15:40PM +0200, Felix Natter wrote:
| hi,
|
| I'd like to install the latest autoconf (2.53),

$ apt-cache policy autoconf
autoconf:
  Installed: 2.53-5
  Candidate: 2.53-5
  Version Table:
 *** 2.53-5 0
        990 http://http.us.debian.org sarge/main Packages
         80 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.53-2 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages

autoconf is already there, just 'apt-get install' it.

| automake (1.6.3)

$ apt-cache policy automake
automake:
  Installed: 1:1.4-p6-2
  Candidate: 1:1.4-p6-2
  Version Table:
 *** 1:1.4-p6-2 0
        990 http://http.us.debian.org sarge/main Packages
         80 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:1.4-p4-1.1 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages

You can't get that version of automake with the same magic command.
You'll have to install from source, or else bug the maintainer to
update the packages.

| and gettext (0.11.5).

$ apt-cache policy gettext
gettext:
  Installed: 0.10.40-8
  Candidate: 0.10.40-8
  Version Table:
     0.11.5-1 0
         80 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
 *** 0.10.40-8 0
        990 http://http.us.debian.org sarge/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.10.40-5 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages

That version of gettext is also already available.

| Installing from source doesn't seem to be the best solution: I can
| remove woody's packages by doing "dpkg -r --force-depends automake
| autoconf gettext", but as soon as I want to install a new package with
| apt-get, it tells me about the dependency problems.

That's right.  You can force something once, but it doesn't make the
problem go away.

| I am not yet familiar with debian testing/unstable

Put this in /etc/apt/preferences :

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 80

and include these lines in /etc/apt/sources.list

deb     http://http.us.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
deb     http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sarge/non-US main contrib non-free

deb     http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb     http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free

Then run 'apt-get update'.  The preferences given above prefer testing
over stable.  You can adjust the scores to suit your preferences, but
I like to run testing.  To install a single package from a non-default
release use the command :
    apt-get install <package>/<release>
(eg apt-get install autoconf/testing)
To temporarily change the default release (for dependency resolution,
etc) use
    apt-get -t <release> install <package>
Also familiarize yourself with the '-s' option to simulate (and report
on) the operation before you actually make any changes.

| so it's probably simpler to create my own packages ?

Unless the upstream source includes all the necessary infrastructure,
it wouldn't be.

| Can you tell me how to do this ?

If you have the proper deb-src lines and the above preferences file :
    $ apt-get source autoconf
    $ apt-get build-dep autoconf
    $ apt-get install fakeroot
    $ cd <package-directory>
    $ fakeroot ./debian/rules binary

-D

--
The nice thing about windoze is - it does not just crash,
it displays a dialog box and lets you press 'ok' first.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/