Re: What CDs?

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 01:58, Richard Spillane wrote:
> I am in an odd position.  Trapped behind various forms of network
> control servers (routers, proxies, etc..) I am restricted to my
> bandwidth and what I can spend it on.  I have already downloaded the
> first Debian image, and am currently downloading the second, almost
> finished with that one.  My question is if there is anything worth
> downloading on the third one?  More specifically, what are the really
> big important programs on the third cd?

If you are bandwidth restricted, your best bet might be to stop
downloading now, pick up only the netinstall bootimage and netinstall
only those packages that *you* deem important. after all, we all have
different ideas of what's important, right?

Once you do that, run dpkg-scanpackages (and gzip) to create a
Packages.gz file. Burn to cd, you now have a custom debian repository
with only the stuff you actually want to spend your bandwidth on.

-Mark