Re: Writing a kernel building walkthrough - proofreaders wanted

Note: I think that you responded to me directly instead of the group.

At 2002-09-13T19:19:37Z, David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> writes:

> Can anyone explain why it is that kernel-source does not require gcc,
> make, libc6-dev, etc and kernel-package?  Actually I would expect
> kernel-source to require kernel-package, and kernel-package to require the
> rest.  Then we would not have the problem when installing by apt-get.  The
> source does have its uses for understanding the kernel and the docs
> without the compiler, but 99% of the time you only have to do it manually?

I almost agree, except that I'd make those packages dependencies of
kernel-package rather than kernel-source.  As you said, people may download
a source package just to browse through it, but I doubt that too many users
will install kernel-package unless they actually wish to compile a kernel.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/