Re: multiple x sessions?

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:19:45 -0400
Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Well, almost.  Thanks -- now I remember having read this before!  but
> for some reason, the simple startx command puts me right into kde,
> without the usual dialog box asking how I want to log in.  This
> happens regardless of what user I log in as.

This is because the user is already logged in and your starting X, not a
login manager such as GDM, KDM, XDM, or WDM.  For the ability to switch
environments and window managers you'll probably want to stay away from
XDM.  I'd suggest WDM (light, but has the features for switching WM) and
modify the /etc/X11/wdm/Xservers file with something like the following:

  :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp
  :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt8 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp :1

This will start up two X sessions for you.  One on virtual terminal 7 and
one on 8.

--
Jamin W. Collins