Re: Installing new kernel

>>"Bob" == Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> writes:

 >> 2) will it add one more item inthe lilo for the new kernel and so that
 >> In can select the older kernel at boot time, in case I want?

 Bob> IIRC (I use grub), the older kernel gets labelled something like
 Bob> OldLinux, while the new one will be Linux.  Grub will show many more
 Bob> possibilities if the kernels exist.

	Well, firstly, kernel-image packages don't use debconf yet,
 since I havent spent the time to grok debconf. Secondly, the image
 package _never_ modifies a lilo.conf file -- alll it does is
 maipulate symbolic links (nominally /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old). If
 you mention those links in lilo.conf, the entry pointing to /vmlinuz
 shall always refer to the last installed kernel image.

 >> 4) do I have to install any other package apart from
 >> kernel-image-2.4.19-686? like kernel-header, etc?

 Bob> No (some self-compiled programs get the headers from kernel-headers or
 Bob> kernel-source, however).

	Well, initrd-tools may be important for kernel images that use initrd.

	manoj
--
 It is no disgrace not to be able to do everything; but to undertake,
 or pretend to do, what you are not made for, is not only shameful,