Re: Installing new kernel

J.S.Sahambi wrote:
Sorry, I meant kernel-image-2.4.19-686 (I think this is the latest!)

Currently I have kernel  2.4.18-bf2.4. If I install the new kernel image
  with the command:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.19-686 ,

There are several kernel-image packages available that have been optimized for various processors. The above package is for the PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV processors. If you have one of these processors then the command is correct.

Note: the 2.4.19 kernels are only available in "testing" at the moment. They will work fine in a "stable" install, but just make sure your sources.list file is pointed at "testing" instead of woody or stable.

1) will it install the kernel in a saparate dir and not mess up the dir
of older kernel?

Yes. Those parts of the package that need a separate directory (mainly the /lib/modules/...) will have a separate directory created and leave the current one untouched.

2) will it add one more item inthe lilo for the new kernel and so that
In can select the older kernel at boot time, in case I want?

Yes. If you select the option to "add all OSes found" it will also add Windows, etc. Your new lilo "labels" will look something like"

Linux
Linux.old
{other oses}

3) and will I be able to remove this new kerenl in case I want and still
have the older kernel on the system.

Yes. Packages are designed to be added or removed as an entity without disturbing the rest of the system. If you manually change something within the package before removal, then all bets are off.

4) do I have to install any other package apart from kernel-image-2.4.19-686? like kernel-header, etc?

The kernel-header package matching the new kernel is only needed if you plan to compile some external programs. It isn't required to get the system to boot into the new kernel. Also, if you later install the kernel-source package and set it up, then you don't need the kernel-header package. Personally, I prefer the latter since most of the compiling I do here is on the kernel.

I did exactly what you want to do about 2 weeks ago. I had the bf2.4 kernel from the initial install and "upgraded" to the 2.4.19-k6 kernel-image package. About the only "gotcha" that I would warn about is that the bf2.4 kernel package has some of the drivers "built-in", whereas the more generic kernel-image packages have these drivers as modules. This mainly affected the NIC driver in my case. I needed to add my driver module for my NIC to /etc/modules to get my network back after the upgrade. My ext3 partitions setup during the initial install were automatically recognized by the new kernel.

Cheers & Good Luck!
-Don Spoon-