Re: Installing new kernel

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:54:10AM +0530, J.S.Sahambi wrote:
> Sorry, I meant kernel-image-2.4.19-686 (I think this is the latest!)
>
> Currently I have kernel  2.4.18-bf2.4. If I install the new kernel image
>   with the command:
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.19-686 ,
>

> 1) will it install the kernel in a saparate dir and not mess up the dir
> of older kernel?

It will install the kernel in the same directory, /boot, but it will
have a unique name (vmlinuz-2.4.19-686).

> 2) will it add one more item inthe lilo for the new kernel and so that
> In can select the older kernel at boot time, in case I want?

IIRC (I use grub), the older kernel gets labelled something like
OldLinux, while the new one will be Linux.  Grub will show many more
possibilities if the kernels exist.

> 3) and will I be able to remove this new kerenl in case I want and still
> have the older kernel on the system.

Yes.

> 4) do I have to install any other package apart from
> kernel-image-2.4.19-686? like kernel-header, etc?

No (some self-compiled programs get the headers from kernel-headers or
kernel-source, however).