Re: Motherboards

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 07:32:27PM -0400, Vikki Roemer wrote:
> Jeff Whitman wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm looking for information on P4 motherboards and chipsets for Woody?
> >
> >Please share any success or failure information.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Jeff
> >

> Well, I don't know about motherboards, but as for chipsets-- avoid any
> and all SiS chips.  I have the SiS 730s chipset in my computer, and the
> graphics chips sort of work (the driver is somewhat  mismatched-- I have
> to deal with perpetual, severe pincushion distortion), but the sound
> doesn't work *at all* and Linux can't find my fan & temperature sensors
> (they work-- I've checked the BIOS numerous times to make sure).  Take
> it from me, SiS chips are just worthless; avoid them like the plague :(

I'm running sarge (kernel 2.4.19-686) on an ASUS TUSI-M motherboard
with a SiS 630ET chip (this is for a P3, not P4) and had problems with
xserver-xfree86 (the Xfree website admits the driver has problems) but
it works fine with xserver-svga (X ver. 3.3.6).  The display is much
sharper than with my old Nvidia TNT Riva card on my previous
motherboard.  I haven't tried setting up Linux to use the sensors yet.
The sound (cmpci) and ethernet (sis900) work fine as well.

I haven't seen any explanation of why the XFree 3.x driver couldn't be
ported to 4.x.

Bob