RE: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was rather taken aback by the response you gave to the fellow who criticized the mailing list.

Rather than telling him to get lost, might I suggest you would have done better to have politely educated him as to why a mailing list might serve his needs better?

Let me tell you how I try to approach these things.

I've been programming for fifteen years. I've been using Unix variants of one sort or another since 1985. I work as a consultant, and I charge my paying clients a lot of money.

But I'm always ready to help people out when they don't have a clue. That's how I learned - other people helped me out.

Here's a piece I wrote when a flamewar was taking place at advogato, that was largely due to the cluelessness of a newbie as well as the brusqueness of the more experienced:

Can't We All Just Get Along?
http://advogato.org/article/495.html

What I'm trying to get at is that it's the responsibility of the more experienced people to calmly, patiently educate the less experienced. We are all ambassadors for Free Software, it's a burden we should bear gladly and not resentfully.

Large, powerful and rich corporations can afford to hire marketing staff to pretend to be friendly to their customers while they relieve them of their pocketbooks. We have no such resources, instead it falls to each and every one of us to welcome new users into the fold - even if they are rude.

Mike

--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/