Re: Motherboards

On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:32:27 -0400
Vikki Roemer <vikki@2khiway.net> wrote:

> Jeff Whitman wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm looking for information on P4 motherboards and chipsets for
> >Woody?
> >
> >Please share any success or failure information.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Jeff
> >

> Well, I don't know about motherboards, but as for chipsets-- avoid any
> and all SiS chips.  I have the SiS 730s chipset in my computer, and
> the graphics chips sort of work (the driver is somewhat  mismatched--
> I have to deal with perpetual, severe pincushion distortion), but the
> sound doesn't work *at all* and Linux can't find my fan & temperature
> sensors (they work-- I've checked the BIOS numerous times to make
> sure).  Take it from me, SiS chips are just worthless; avoid them like
> the plague :(
>
> HTH

I second that - got the same chipset.
You can try to go to http://www.winischhofer.net for better drivers for
your graphics. If you just put the x-driver in the display should be ok.
To get 3d going you need to do the whole thing incl. recompiling the
kernel. For sound use the trident driver and oss - works for me.

Prost,

Klaus