Re: ssh problem

also sprach Joerg Johannes <j-j@gmx.de> [2002.09.09.1636 +0200]:
> Hmm, OK. I have an alias set in /etc/hosts

show it!

> If I do ssh indy
> I get the above error, when I do ssh real.silly.long.host.name
> I get connected without problem.

what's the output of

  ping -nc1 indy | head -1
  ping -nc1 real.silly.long.host.name | head -1

> The PARANOID setting is only on the client's host.deny, not on the
> server's. Isn't that strange? Or do I think the wrong way round?

is there any entry in to /var/log/auth.log, /var/log/daemon.log, or
/var/log/syslog files on the server? try a connect and look what
happens.

also, try doing a connect as follows:

  ssh -vv indy 2>&1 | gzip -9 > /tmp/ssh-debug-out.gz

and upload the file /tmp/ssh-debug-out.gz to
ftp://ftp.madduck.net/pub/incoming (don't forget to set binary mode).
let me know when it's there...

in africa some of the native tribes have a custom of beating the
ground with clubs and uttering spine chilling cries. anthropologists
call this a form of primitive self-expression. in america they call
it golf.