Re: List of purged packages?

Hi Colin Watson,

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 04:01:45AM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
>> Is there a way to obtain a straight list of purged packages?

> You can set the COLUMNS variable to something large (e.g. 200) to avoid
> this. Alternatively, you can use grep-status from the grep-dctrl
> package, with something like this:
>
>   grep-status -nsPackage -FStatus 'purge ok not-installed' | sort

Wow! What a treasure of a program. Debian's very own package grep.

>> Something strange has happened to one of my package databases. It lists
>> 307 packages as being purged. I'd like to reset the purged names using:
>> echo "<package name> unknown" | dpkg --set-selections
>>
>> To do this I just need a straight list of the purged packages.
>
> The above isn't really what you want then. Purged is the default state,
> and if you ask for everything in the pn state then you'll get almost all
> packages. Could you describe in a little more detail what your problem
> is, so we can come up with something more useful?

Purged is not the default state! Unknown (u) and not installed (n) is
(un). For example only 5 purged packages exist on my main computer:

grep-status -nsPackage -FStatus 'purge ok not-installed' | wc
      5       5      78

Purged is the state after a package has been installed and then removed by
--purge (which removes the package and all configuration files).

I have not installed and then purged 307 packages on the system so it
looks like data corruption (or perhaps a misapplication of dselect). The
hard disk is failing (it can't read sectors and I get kernel error
messages such as "journal_bmap_Rcee9a639: journal block not found at
offset 13 on ide1(22,1)") so data corruption is a definite possibility.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Adam