Re: List of purged packages?

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 04:01:45AM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
> Is there a way to obtain a straight list of purged packages?
>
> The only unsatisfactory way I known of at present is:
> dpkg -l '*' | grep -i 'pn  '
>
> However this cuts off package names.

You can set the COLUMNS variable to something large (e.g. 200) to avoid
this. Alternatively, you can use grep-status from the grep-dctrl
package, with something like this:

  grep-status -nsPackage -FStatus 'purge ok not-installed' | sort

> Something strange has happened to one of my package databases. It lists
> 307 packages as being purged. I'd like to reset the purged names using:
> echo "<package name> unknown" | dpkg --set-selections
>
> To do this I just need a straight list of the purged packages.

The above isn't really what you want then. Purged is the default state,
and if you ask for everything in the pn state then you'll get almost all
packages. Could you describe in a little more detail what your problem
is, so we can come up with something more useful?