BIG UGLY FONTS

With Woody, either 2.2 or 2.4 kernel, on my three 7 disk Debian CD install s
And on all the Lindows (Woody 3.x 2.4 kernel) machines I have set up this month I have these big ugly fonts in the menus of any app using GTK or Gnome for an interface
Looks about like a 16 point helvetica, no anti-aliasing, it is REALLY ugly
This goes for Gimp, Evolution, Gaelon, Netscape 7.0, etc

I have ask about this here before, I've searched Google
I've tried the 75 vs 100 font line thing suggested by several people
I have used the Gnome control panel, tried every KDE option, hunted for gtkrc files I still have big ugly fonts in the menus of anything that uses GTK or Gnome for the interface

This problem doesn't present itself on the newer Mandrake or SuSe or RedHat
Woody seems to uses the same X server, why the difference?
Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

--
Using Linux Mandrake 8.2