Modules - unstable? -newbie

Am happy to have woody installed, after moving from suse.
One thing which makes me grabbling for quite sometime. It may take
sometime to understand the whole scene behind debian and its power.
Nevertheless I still trust this debian more than other popular distros.

I just configured sound modules, such as soundcore  etc. The audio works
fine. The same audio modules were added into /etc/modules,  so that
these modules wil be loaded every time the system is booted.
After rebooting, the modules in concern are there (checked using lsmod),
but audio does not work any longer.

The message after
" $ cat /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Window_UnSticky.wav >dev/audio ",
is:
"bash: dev/audio: No such file or directory"

Flwg tools were used:  insmod,  modprobe,  modconf, lsmod, rmmod.

Could some help me, please.

Setyo Nugroho