Re: PAM use by non root applications

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 01:34:08PM -0500, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
| Does Woody allow non-root id applications to to PAM auth?

Yes.  No.  It depends.  Which PAM module are you trying to use?  You
can't use pam_unix *if* you use shadow passwords *and* the non-root
user does not have permission to read /etc/shadow.  I hope this makes
it clear that the issue isn't PAM at all, but rather what the module
tries to do.  pam_unix tries to read /etc/shadow and can only do so if
it has filesystem-level permission.  Other pam modules don't read that
file and aren't bound by that restriction.

-D

--
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to
look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/