Re: Mac-Linux filetransfer

Eric Richardson wrote:

DSC@Siltec wrote:

 > Okay, here's my problem:
 >
 > My PC apparently can write CDs okay.  My Macs, more and more,
 > cannot.  Technically, they come back with "medium error".   Some of
 >  it may have to do with disk fragmentation, but that's a problem with
 >  my  Macs.
 >
 > I'd like to do two things:   (1) start backing up to the PC (Woody), (2)
 >  write my CDs from the PC.
 >
> My Mac and my PC both have ethernet, and I am aware that an ethernet cable
 >

 > can be made with a couple pairs reversed to run directly from one to
 >  the other.
 >
 > However, that still leaves the question:  how do I set up file
 > transfer  between a Mac and a Linux PC?

Load the appletalk module(modconf) and then install netatalk and then set it up. Your mac will find the Linux box via the finder on the mac and then you can copy the files from the mac to the linux box. At least this is one way.

Correction for woody: apt-get install netatalk
It will modprobe the appletalk module in the startup for you.

I can't get the passwd to work yet. I comes setup to allow users on the debian box to connect to their home directory. Works fine on potato as it passes a clear text passwd but on Woody it uses double encypted passwd which doesn't work.

Eric