USB Zip 250 with Debian

Does anyone have any experience with the USB powered 250 MB zip drive on
Debian or Linux in general? Does it work? How well?

My college has just gotten rid of floppy drives in most of their
computers, and that leaves me no convenient way to transfer files from
their computers to my laptop. I'd like to get one of the 250 MB USB
drives, but I'm not too sure on support.

Btw, if anyone is using one of them with a Dell Inspiron 8000 or close to
it, I'd also be interested in what the battery drain is like. TIA.

-Alex