Re: Samba, PAM, Authentication off an NT Domain

Mark Roach wrote:
On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 18:34, Kent West wrote:

When I try to add the machine to the domain as per the man page, with this command:

	sudo smbpasswd -j ACU -r campus.acu.edu -U ACU\westk

This might only be mistyped in this email, but you will need to do
ACU\\westk to prevent the shell from interpereting \w as an escape code

-Mark

Wow! You got my hopes up. But alas, that made no difference. Still, to eliminate the as a possible problem, I added to /etc/samba/smb.conf the line "winbind separator = +" and tried it again with "-U ACU+westk", but still no joy.

BTW, if the machine has already been added to the domain from the Windows 2000 side of this dual-boot machine, and the name of the machine is the same on both the W2K and the Debian sides, do I need to add it to the domain from the Linux side as well? Is it a problem to have the same machine added under the same name but under two different OSes? I tried changing the name of the Debian side (I've got a script that greps for all the occurrences of the host name in /etc and changes 'em out, then I reboot (hey, it's not a server . . . .)) and adding the machine, but still no success.

Thanks for any enlightenment anyone can send my way!

Kent