Re: s3virge and xfree864.1

Marcelo Chiapparini <chiappa@uerj.br> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am running woody plus xfree86 4.1.0-16 in a pentium pro machine. The
> video card has a s3 virge chipset, so, the xserver-xfree86 runs its
> s3virge drive. I have the following problem: at resolutions of
> 1024x768 or better, each time the screen is updated appear spurious
> horizontal line on it. The problem becomes worse for the high
> resolutions. At resolutions lower than the 1024x768 the problem
> disappears. Does exist a bug in the s3virge drive of xfree86 4.1?
> should I move to xfree86 3.3.6?

I have been running xfree86 3.3.6 for a while with s3 virge, but I
recently tried switching to 4.1.0.  I was able to get it running
fairly easily at 1152x864 with a custom modeline.  I soon noticed
another problem though.  My audio for mp3's would skip badly whenever
my xterm scrolled, and the clock started losing time.  This finally
became enough of an aggravation, that I just dropped back to 3.3.6.
Of course this is an older version card with DRAM instead of VRAM, so
this may not apply to you.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org