Re: s3virge and xfree864.1(epilog)

On 04.09.2002 04:45 Romuald DELAVERGNE wrote:
Le 2002.09.03 23:24, Anna Lawless a écrit :
I have the same problem with the s3virge driver, only as long as I
don't go above 16 bit color I can use 1024x768 and 1280x1024.
Maybe reducing color depth would help? So many people have
reported this, and in distros other than Debian as well, I think
it has to be a bug or a problem with the card. I suspect a driver
bug as the same chipset is flicker-free under microsoft.

Yes, reducing the screen definition resolve the problem. But it's not very usefull to work all the time in 640x480. I also notice that there is an interference with the sound.

I swiched back to 3.3.6 (using xserver-svga) only to find that my monitor (a bit old one) doesn't support the hsync frequencies that the xsever need for the resolutions I am interested :(, so: bye bye 3.3.6...

Finally I did Anna's suggestion: running xserver-xfree86 (4.1.0-16) I lowered the color depth from 24 to 16, and the problem had gone away.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback to my question!

ps: I sent my original post again to the list. It was a mistake, sorry for that!

Regards,

Marcelo --
Marcelo Chiapparini
DFT-IF/UERJ