OT: reviving a battery

high folks,

Excuse this off-topic post, I have yet again the desire to profit from
your wisdom...

I have a couple of batteries for my Dell laptops. Some of these
haven't been in a system for months. Now I check one after the other,
just to find that two of the batteries seem dead. APM (as well as the
Dell BIOS) indicates 0% charge but status "Charging..." and yet, not
even a tiny percent was added to the charge over the last two hours.
It's still at 0%.

Do you have any hints on what I could do to revive these batteries?
I just can't believe that they die because of lack of attention...

"education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time
 to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
                                                        -- oscar wilde