Re: Mail reader

>>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

 Joey> I suppose you could do this with mutt, but why not instead find a
 Joey> general-purpose tool that can do it in a cron job, set it up, and never
 Joey> have to worry about it again no matter what mailer you end up using.
 Joey> (That tool is archivemail.)

	Because I want mail expiry to be done only for mail that I
 have read. Not mail that just happens to be sitting around unread.

	Also, I want different expiry policies based on scoring -- and
 I don't think static scoring rules are going to cut it for me
 anymore. The way future articles are scored needs to learn from what
 I find interesting at the moment, and what I threads I consider
 junk. And I don't havce time to update a set of rules. When mutt can
 do adaptive scoring it can become a contender.

 Joey> Similarly, while mutt could probably be coaxed into filtering my mail,
 Joey> and downloading my mail over imap, and editing replies, sending out my
 Joey> mail over smtp, I instead use a selection of dedicated tools that I have
 Joey> tuned and evolved over time (procmail/spamassassin, isync, vim, postfix)
 Joey> for these tasks. I use mutt to read mail.

	Your mistake is thinking of emacs or gnus as a monolithic
 program. Emacs is a way of life, not a program. Let me see. I use
 spambouncer, sendmail, mailagent, spamassassin, razor, gnus
 fnacy-splitting, soon to have content based lisp spam filtering, a
 learning, adaptive scoring mechanism, powereful thread based commands
 that operate on whole sets of mails/articles at once.

	I use both Gnus and VM for reading mail.

	Emacs is merely a framework to allow little tools to be
 quickly written, and interact with other tools already in place
 -- so i do not have to continually re-invent the wheel.

	manoj
--
 "We cannot put off living until we are ready.  The most salient
 characteristic of life is its coerciveness; it is always urgent,