X problem after upgrade

Hi!

I've just updated a pure debian potato to woody. After that, X (still
3) started fine, but the mouse cursor had a colored square around
it. I didn't care about it because I planned to install X 4. This
worked without any problem, but now, the mouse pointer is totally
invisible. I recalled that there was an issue about the cursor fonts
(gimpers vs. artwiz), so I uninstalled all fonts and reinstalled only
the basic sets (base and 75dpi), but there was no change. Also
installing or removing xfs made no change. There is no error message
in any place, X seems to be just happy. Any ideas?

BTW, I found it funny, that it is possible to uninstall all fonts
without removing the xserver-xfree86. I would have guessed that X
depends at least on some default fonts. Might this be the reason why
I'm looking at the wrong place to find a fix?

Thanks.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@kiosknet.com.br