Re: safe emergency shutdown?

Peter Christensen wrote:
I'm fairly new to Debian and Linux, so this may have the most obvious answer, but here's what happened:

I added an application to the panel in kde (I think that's what it's called; it's the strip along the bottom where you can click to activate the console, help, etc.) This worked OK, but the new icon was hidden behind the scroll arrows on the right side, so I tried moving it to the left. At that point nothing worked again on the panel. I was able to get to the console by doing an alt-F1 (I think) and then shut down the system safely. But this morning I tried to remove the new icon from the panel. And again, the panel froze, so I couldn't start any applications. Also, the keyboard was dead. Alt-Fn didn't work, ctrl-alt-del did nothing, and even when I hit the caps-lock the caps-lock light didn't go on. The mouse still worked, but I couldn't start any applications. So I ended up turning the power off. I understand that bad things can happen if you just turn off the power while Linux is running. But it seemed that I had no alternative. Any idea what happened here, and what I should have done to get out of it?

Thanks,
Peter Christensen

Others have addressed this, but let me add that there's a "Magic SysRequest" key (or something similar) that can help you regain control in some situations like this. I've never used it (nor studied up on it), but thought I'd mention it in case you want to pursue it. It's an option when you compile your own kernel.

Also, in some cases, if you're on a network, you might be able to ssh or telnet in and kill the offending process.

And finally, to get back to a usable KDE, the easiest way (albeit you'll lose preferences, etc) would be to rename (or more drastically delete) any files/directories in your home directory referring to KDE, such as .kde and .kderc. Of course you'll need to do this prior to starting KDE again, but that's another issue.

Kent