Re: displaying accented characters in mutt

Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002-08-24 21:52:22 -0400]:
> on Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:14:53PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt insinuated:
> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:54:18PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Mine display all the accented ones OK.
> > I had LC_CTYPE=C. I changed it to en_US.ISO-8859-1. I noticed
> > something interesting:
>
> i recently ran into the same problem, and was just about to ask ...
> but exporting that variable setting doesn't seem to set it, nor does
> putting it in my ~/.zshenv and sourcing it.
>
> also, all my locales are set to POSIX, not C -- what's the advandage
> of one over the other?  is this related to the problem of not being
> able to see accented characters in mutt?

The POSIX locale and the C locale are synonyms for each other.  They
are defined to be the same thing.  POSIX is the standardization of the
standard C locale.

Reading this thread late, perhaps it is not mutt at all but the
terminal you are using to display it in?  It seems to me that the
terminal window would need the charset capability before an
application like mutt could use it.

Bob