Re: sid: Warning: Perl funkitude in today's upgrade

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> [2002-08-25 00:06:27 -0700]:
> I'm a little suspicious of today's [sid] update.  I just tried it,
> and it wants to remove some things that apache uses for my site
> locally, among other things.

Well, you are running Sid and he is an unstable kid.  :-)

> I don't know if libperl5.8 is a replacement for all of those other
> lib*perl packages, but I have a sneaking suspicioun it's not.

This just came up in the devel list.  A must read message for this
topic.  In a nutshell they just uploaded perl 5.8 into unstable which
has many of those modules built into perl itself now instead of being
seperate packages.

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200208/msg01545.html

> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libapache-mod-perl libdbd-mysql-perl libdbd-pg-perl libdbi-perl
>   libdigest-hmac-perl libdigest-md5-perl libdigest-sha1-perl
>   libhtml-tree-perl libmd5-perl libmime-base64-perl libmime-perl
>   libnet-dns-perl libnet-ldap-perl libtime-hires-perl libwww-perl
>   mysql-client mysql-server razor sympa wwsympa
>   libdb4.0 libperl5.8
> 20 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 20 to remove and 0  not upgraded.

I recognize several which are now standard in perl 5.8.  But razor
going away is not desired.  Razor depends upon libdigest-sha1-perl
which is causing it to be in the list too.  I am sure it is similar
with other packages that want to be removed but I did not look.  Those
packages will need to be updated to have the dependency removed or to
require perl >= 5.8.

Hmm...  Perhaps now would be a good time to move to the testing track
Sarge which won't be quite so unstable. :-)

Bob