Re: wireless access point

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 05:01, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> Hello: I'm trying to do something which I think ought to be fairly
> simple: attach a D-Link wireless access point to my desktop (which has
> net access) and use that to let a couple of laptops with D-Link
> wireless cards connect to the desktop, and via the desktop to the net.
>
> The desktop is already set up as a router/firewall using iptables, and
> the desktop and the two laptops have static IP addresses (in the
> 192.168.93.x range). All works fine when the laptops connect to the
> desktop via cable and the little Netgear hub.
>
> I haven't made the wireless setup work yet though, and I've found the
> available documentation sort of frustrating.
>
> I know enough, I think, to futz around to get the PCMCIA cards set up
> properly on the laptops. What has been more difficult has been to find
> out what's needed on the desktop side to get the access point working
> properly. All of the documentation I've seen (i) says that this is
> laughably easy, but (ii) neglects to actually say how to do it, and
> (iii) goes on to tell you how to construct your own access point using
> a spare laptop (which I haven't got). The things I actually need to
> know are presupposed.
>
> Does anyone know of a nice clear explanation of how to set up the
> access point and get it to listen for signals? Or is there someone
> who could explain briefly what's required?

The configuration of the access point is specific to the access point.
The PC's are all you really need to worry about. AFAIK there are two
main ways to do the access point/PC side and which one(s) of them are
possible depends on the AP

You can give the AP an ip address in you 192.168.93 range for the wired
side and 192.168.x.x for the wireless side and then have the AP route
between the subnets (or NAT, which is the default on my cisco AP)

Inet |--| 192.168.93.1   192.168.93.2 ------ 192.168.x.x
-----|PC|-----------------------------| AP | -  -  -  -    Laptops
     |__|                             ------             (192.168.x.x)

Or, you could put the AP in bridge mode in which case, the laptops would
keep the same ip and IIRC the AP will not even get an ip at all, this
would make the AP the equivalent of a wireless hub.

Inet |--| 192.168.93.1                ------
     |__|                             ------             (192.168.93.x)

> I'd be very grateful for any pointers, and I'd be more than happy to
> write something up and make it available if I get this to work. There
> must be many people who want to do this.

Either way is pretty much unrelated to the PC's themselves and more a
function of the AP.

I think I got the facts straight here, any corrections?

-Mark