wireless access point

Hello: I'm trying to do something which I think ought to be fairly
simple: attach a D-Link wireless access point to my desktop (which has
net access) and use that to let a couple of laptops with D-Link
wireless cards connect to the desktop, and via the desktop to the net.

The desktop is already set up as a router/firewall using iptables, and
the desktop and the two laptops have static IP addresses (in the
192.168.93.x range). All works fine when the laptops connect to the
desktop via cable and the little Netgear hub.

I haven't made the wireless setup work yet though, and I've found the
available documentation sort of frustrating.

I know enough, I think, to futz around to get the PCMCIA cards set up
properly on the laptops. What has been more difficult has been to find
out what's needed on the desktop side to get the access point working
properly. All of the documentation I've seen (i) says that this is
laughably easy, but (ii) neglects to actually say how to do it, and
(iii) goes on to tell you how to construct your own access point using
a spare laptop (which I haven't got). The things I actually need to
know are presupposed.

Does anyone know of a nice clear explanation of how to set up the
access point and get it to listen for signals? Or is there someone
who could explain briefly what's required?

I'd be very grateful for any pointers, and I'd be more than happy to
write something up and make it available if I get this to work. There
must be many people who want to do this.

Thanks very much,

Jim

PS I know there are serious security issues with commercial access
points.