installing woody bf24 on vmware 2.0.4 and local apic problems

I am trying to install Woody onto a VMware workstation, 2.0.4 and
having problems with the bf24 kernel image.  At the boot: prompt, I
enter "bf24" and the kernel starts to boot and then stops after the
following messages:

  POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
  enabled ExtINT on CPU#0
  No ESR for 82489DX.
  Using local APIC timer interrupts.
  calibrating APIC timer ...
  ...... CPU clock speed is 2122.4668 MHz.
  ...... host bus clock speed is 0.0000 MHz.
  cpu: 0, clocks: 0, slice: 0

and that is it.  I have tried passing the "noapic" option along with
the "bf24" to no avail.

So a couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to work around this problem with the bf24 kernel
   distributed on Woody?

2. Is there any way to use an alternate kernel not on the CD?

3. Is there a "boot" kernel available that does not have local apic
   support in it (I don't yet have a Debian system installed to build
   one myself)?

Using the 2.2 idepci kernel is not an option because I need lvm
support as I intend to put all of my filesystems, including root on
LVM.

Thanx,

b.

--