Re: GPG key question

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 10:21, Alwyn Schoeman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Awhile back there was a question about how you delete a uid and the end
> result was that you revoked the signature instead.

Yes.

> My question is that gpg says it generates a revocation certificate...
> Now is this part of your public key when you update it again or how do
> you actually get this 'revocation certificate' to propogate to the
> servers?

gpg --gen-revoke generates a revocation certificate for the *main* key,
revoking your entire key. This certificate is not entered into the
keyring automatically, you have to gpg --import it first.

gpg --edit <key>, with 'revsig' allows you to revoke specific
signatures, amognst them userid binding signatures, too. These
revocations are entered into the keyring directly.

hth
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                      http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

WARNING: keyserver.kjsl.com *only* carries a valid copy of my key