Re: Old machine (bochs).

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 06:13:01PM +0200, Robert Vazan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install Debian on very very old machine (bochs x86
> emulator).

Why emulator.  Debian support almost all platform as native. powerPC,
ARM, 68000, ...

It does take some time to do any computation intensive work like gz or
MD5sum using emulated CPU.

> I will be trying to install again this weekend. Is it possible to use
> already downloaded (and verified) packages?

YES if you know.

> Is it possible to install potato (or older)? Will installer use
> potato's or stable's packages during net install?

Depends on boot disk but quite likely stable (You can change it by
edditing /etc/sources.list

> I see a lot of things I expect from operating system aren't done
> (keeping safe distance between myself and hardware) while a lot of
> things that belong to application domain are installed (lynx, some
> mail system, python (compiles during installation!), perl, ...). This
> of course bloats base system.

You must have run dselect.

> Maybe you could advice some other distribution that better fits my
> concept of operating system? For example I consider X-Window
> essential, while any unrequested application or library is too much.
> Traditional unix environment and programs necessary to start
> installation of applications are an exception.

Why use boch, use native Debian on that architecture.

Unless this is your pet hacking project, it does not make sense.

         Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.   Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developer
 : :' :    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/  http://qref.sf.net
 `. `'   "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" - Social Contract