Re: Downgrading glibc + upgrading kernel?

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 07:17:24PM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:

| "Tom Cook" <tom.cook@adelaide.edu.au> wrote :
|
| > The kernel upgrade should not be any worries at all.
| >
| > apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.x-yourarch
|
| Okay...
|
| <<You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version 2.4.18-386)
| This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
| initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an INITial
| Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use that for
| booting).
| As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
| add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' to the image=/vmlinuz
| stanza of your /etc/lilo.conf
| I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader. If you have already done
| so, and you wish to get rid of this message, please put
|   `do_initrd = Yes'
| in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Note that this is optional, but if you do not,
| you'll contitnue to see this message whenever you install a kernel
| image using initrd.
| Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]
|
| ... edits /etc/lilo.conf ... adds a missing /etc/kernel-img.conf as
| specified ...

Umm, that's not what was specified.  In your lilo.conf, you need to
make mention of the initrd image.  Look in /boot and you'll see a file
named initrd.img-<version>.  You need to tell lilo to load that as the
initrd image.  I don't use lilo so I can't tell you what to put in
your lilo.conf, but it certainly has nothing to do with
/etc/kernel-img.conf.  That file is a config file for the kernel image
package.  The line it mentions tells it not to give you that warning
anymore.  My suggestion is to either switch to grub (and then I can
give you config lines) or to read lilo's manual and see how to specify
an initrd image.

HTH,
-D

--