Re: Can't log in.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 04:19:02PM -0700, River Y. Liu wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I just install Debian Woody on 486 machine for my wife.  So she can do
| some simple editting work in her office.  But after I installed the
| system, it only allowed me login as root.  Whenever  I login as a normal
| user, it will prompt "System bootup in progress - please wait".  It
| happened right after the installation.  I have no idea what is goin' on.

During the boot up process, the file /etc/nologin is created with the
contents "System bootup in progress - please wait".  Only root is
allowed to log in while this file exists.  For all other users, the
contents of the file is given as the reason why they can't log in.  If
you remove that file, then other users will be able to log in.  That
happens as one of the last things the boot up sequence does.

The only time I've had this problem is when I asked for it.  I told
zope to not fork into the background, and then I rebooted the machine
while I was in a different state.  Then I couldn't ssh back into the
system because the bootup hadn't finished.  It didn't finish because
zope was sitting there like I told it to.

HTH,
-D

--
He who walks with the wise grows wise,