Downgrading glibc + upgrading kernel?

Hi,

I need to downgrade

    from glibc 2.2.5 to glibc 2.2.2 or 2.2.4

and, supposedly upgrade:

    from kernel 2.2.20 to kernel 2.4

These don't sound like moves to be undertaken lightly, so I'd like some
guidance. Can anyone help me to get through this safely?

The background: I have been using the Intel C++ compiler with only limited
success. I've been having problems with exceptions thrown across shared
library boundaries, and the Intel people say my problem is that I've got the
wrong Kernel and glibc. I have some doubts that the kernel is responsible,
but I guess an upgrade doesn't sound too painful. Downgrading glibc is
what's got me worried.

Any help appreciated,
Dave

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting