Re: grub install questions (devfs problem)

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 08:13:08PM +0300, Alexey Chetroi wrote:
> it contains (fd0) and (hd0) lines.
> What else should I add there?

Yes, good. But the file contains a little more that just that,
doesn't it? Think of it as aliases -- on the left is GRUB's name for
the real device on the right. Here's my device.map:
(fd0)	/dev/fd0
(hd0)	/dev/hda
(hd1)	/dev/hdb
It simply says that (hd0) represents /dev/hda, which you should
replace with your desired drive. You can easily test if you're not
sure: just start GRUB from the command line or, maybe better, when
you reboot, go to GRUB's command line from there. Type in a command,
say, "root (" and press tab. You'll then be presented a list of
possible disks that GRUB knows about, along with some information
about partitions so you can easily recognize them. You don't need a
device.map for that to work.
Note that as far as I know GRUB still doesn't know about CD-ROMs.

So just figure out how to represent the right device to GRUB; I
admit it is still somewhat puzzling to me, since I have GRUB on two
disks, both being able to load the same kernel on the same disks,
but those two device.map files differ!
Let me know if I wasn't clear enough, but you should get the
picture.

andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates